Is your sex life experiencing a slump? Perhaps you are lacking feelings of sexual desire and simply don’t know how to boost your libido? If you answered “yes” to these questions, you would probably benefit from introducing cannabis into your life.
What are the causes of low sexual libido?
You may not realize it, but your sex drive is steered by two main systems within the human body – sexual inhibition system (SIS) and the sexual excitation system (SES). These systems work in-sync to encourage feelings of sexual desire, as well as to ensure every sexual encounter is pleasurable. However, there may come a time when the SES cannot work properly, due to the SIS stopping it from doing so.
So, how does this happen, you ask? Well, there are a few triggers that could be to blame for your lack of love-making. Let’s take a look at a few of the most common causes of low sexual libido:
- Job loss or financial worry
- Previous sexual harassment or negative experience involving sex
- Stress, anxiety and/or depression
- Weight loss/gain
- Low self-esteem
- Poor body image of oneself
Why is cannabis good for stimulating sexual excitement?
Studies are ongoing, but the proof that cannabis might act as a sexual aid is surfacing. One study that was carried out at the University of Texas showed how men became more attentive to foreplay and sexual technique when they were administered with low to moderate doses of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Since THC relaxes the body and encourages better blood flow, erectile dysfunction is less likely to be a problem when cannabis is consumed. This is because erectile dysfunction is usually caused by a lack of blood flow.
It’s not just the THC compound that can improve sexual excitement and/or performance, however. Cannabidiol (CBD) is a strong anxiolytic, which has been proven to relieve feelings of sex-related anxiety. This chemical compound promotes the production of serotonin and increases lubrication.
Which cannabis strains are most effective for increasing libido?
The chances of feeling overwhelmed by the vast variety of cannabis strains available inside medical cannabis dispensaries will reduce if you learn what’s what. The following arousing strains are recommended for consumption before entering the bedroom:
- Skunk Number 1 –This cannabis strain was cultivated for the first time during the 1970s. Since this time, the hybrid strain has been favored for its unique blend of earthy and sour flavors. It has a pretty high THC content at 15-19 percent and it will induce a feeling of full-body relaxation.
- Sour Diesel –Also known as “Sour D,” this sativa strain will produce heavenly cerebral effects that have been shown to relieve the symptoms of depression, stress and pain. Fast-acting and long-lasting, the strain has a diesel scent. If you like citrus and woody flavors, you’re going to enjoy this one.
- Blue Cheese – Give your libido a boost by consuming some Blue Cheese and no, we don’t mean the type of cheese you get from cows. This is the name of a pungent cannabis strain with a with around 16-18 percent CBD and 1-1.5 percent CBD. It grows in shades of blue and purple, with a sugary layer of trichomes coating the THC-laden leaves. Tasting like blue cheese and berries, this libido-boosting cannabis strain will aid you in de-stressing before you get down and dirty.
- Shining Silver Haze – A rare sativa-dominant hybrid with a head-heavy high, this deliciously spicy strain tastes slightly peppery and will improve mood. A deep psychedelic strain that is guaranteed to put the magic back into the bedroom, this cannabis strain contains in excess of 21 percent CBD.
- Kali Dog – Growers in the USA have really made history with this lemony cannabis strain, which has Indica traits and a diesel-like smell. The THC levels range from 17-21 percent, while the CBD levels are significantly lower at around 1 percent. When Kali Dog is not being used for love-making purposes, it is being used by consumers who want to feel uplifted, yet calm.
- Bubblegum Kush – If you like it slow and passionate, try this therapeutic indica strain. It has a fruity flavor and will make you feel overly sensual with its generous THC content in the 18 percent range. The CBD content is usually around 0-3 percent, but this varies.
Do I need to get high to increase libido with cannabis?
Not necessarily, unless you really want to, of course. With so many different types of cannabis strains out there, you can pretty much choose one that suits you. Opt for a low-THC, high-CBD strain to avoid head-heavy highs. Since CBD (Cannabidiol) is non-psychoactive, CBD-rich strains will not leave you feeling overly sedated, if at all.
Must I smoke cannabis to experience relief from low libido?
Smoking is not necessary, but you can if you wish to. Alternatively, fill the lungs with water vapor by using a vaping device filled with cannabis oil. Containing chemical compounds like THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD, cannabis oil is a type of extract. It is highly potent and can be dropped onto/beneath the tongue for entry into the bloodstream within minutes.
Conversely, you may wish to buy a cannabis-based product from dispensaries like The Green Cross SF. Options include topical lotions and lubes, oral capsules and suppositories, or infused edibles and liquids.